Jul 6, 2011

Florence Impression

Before this trip I have heard tons of compliments about Florence. It was said to be the best city in Italy. Tiny but gorgeous. To be honest, I doubted, especially after stayed in Paris for about ten days I was unwilling to explore this tiny city of Italy.

But, Florence is my favorite city in the whole trip!

It is tiny, so don't need to bother looking for metros and getting lost. The only thing helped me navigating was not map, but the sun. Always navigating the direction of the sun was such an easy way when exploring in a new city. I love walking thus I walked from here to there in Florence. The Duomo was a landmark in the city. It was such a unique architecture with splendid fresco on both inside and outside walls. Comparing to Gothic Cathedrals, this Renaissance's style architecture was humble but cute.



No matter from what perspective, the Duomo was very elegant and charming in the city, full of the Renaissance smell. Shadow and sunshine were playing games before the sunset and the Duomo was like a shy beauty smiling behind the light and shadow veil. 

In between two appointments on June 24th, I climbed to the top of the Duomo by myself. Actually Hannah and I were waiting for almost 40 minutes outside and we only have another 40 minutes left before the next appointment in the afternoon. She quit but I made it! Climbing stairs to the top for about 20 minutes because there was only one narrow way for both up and down. I had to wait and let other people go and somebody in front of me always paused and took pictures. I was rushing to the top and took pictures from each direction and then rushed down! When I arrived at the Ferragamo museum I was still ten minutes ahead. So proud of myself and felt so accomplished!!




Arno river was another landmark of the city that you won't get lost in Florence. We have been through Ponte Vecchio several days everyday, which was an unique bridge in Florence, full of jewelry stores on both sides. Every great city in the world can't live without river, such as the Seine river in Paris, the Hudson and east river in New York, and Grand Canal in Venice. 





This beautiful scene was captured on my way to the hotel back from Fiesole alone. Other girls were preparing going out the other day, however I spend approximately three hours on my trip to Fiesole and it was only me who saw this unbelievable scene on my way back. I sat down on Ponte Santa Trinita and watched the sunset. I didn't know whether this was better than that in Paris or not. I love both cities which have totally different styles and smells. 



Speak of view, you have to go up on the hill. The first one was from the garden of Capucci museum, and the second one was from Fiesole. To be honest, Fiesole was a bit far from Florence that you can't really see the buildings and everything clearly. But you don't have to. When I got the top of the hill I put my camera in my bag. Instead, I was breathing and watching this city and the whole countryside view quietly. I didn't know how to describe my feeling, nor did I know who to describe this gorgeous scene. I didn't see each specific building but I can see the time of Ancient Rome, with its splendid Renaissance culture and history, truely. 




Uffizi museum was a 'must' in the tour of Florence. I knew it for long time but I was shocked when I went into the first room, seeing the famous 'Madonna Enthrone' by Giotto. Again, something I saw from the book came into my eyesight closely. I was speechless. Later on, Botticelli's 'Primavera' and 'Birth of Venus' totally blew my mind. Those paintings from thousands years ago still shine their glory in this tiny, crowded, old museum. Every detail was perfect and the balanced construction of the whole painting was even more perfectly beautiful. Other than those, we saw almost all the master's works from Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael,Michelangelo, Titian, Caravaggio, etc, ranging from Renaissance to Baroque period. I wished we could have spent more time in this great museum since I didn't get the chance to see one of my favorite German artist Durer's works. Also, I wished we could have spent more time on each piece. For those great artworks, I hope we can admire them forever.




Didn't get the chance to see the real 'David' in the first day, Hannah and I used the time in between two appointments in the second day to the Galleria dell' Accademia. With our museum pass, we waited for about 20 minutes to get in. We were melting outside but when we got in the only thing we can do was chilled in front of this masterpiece! I couldn't believe how beautiful this sculpture was and how huge it was. The marble was shining in the museum so that everything else was in darkness at the same time. Breath taking. Breath taking! I took a picture of it secretly. I knew I didn't have to prove but I still wanna show off that I saw the real David!!!

Travel tips:
1. It takes approximately one hour to get in the Uffizi museum. Plan well.
2. It takes approximately two hours to get in Galleria dell' Accademia without ticket. If with reservation or museum pass, it takes about 10 to 20 minutes. 
3. The Duomo closes around 4.30PM. Going to the roof was another line and needs 8 euros as the entrance fee. It takes at least 40 minutes go up and down.
4. Fiesole was about 20 minutes away from Florence by bus. Bus No. 7 to the last stop from the station in front of San Marco. 
5. Noon in Florence is super hot in June. Prepare ice water or Gelato. Or avoid of going outside between noon to 3PM if possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment