Jul 5, 2011

Unexpected

Ten days in Paris, I have been through something disappointed but also been through something unexpected.

Clouds and rains. It was frustrating to fight with the rain in such a relaxing day in Montmartre. But I got great pictures of Basilique du Sacré-Cœur and the whole view of Paris.



Five years ago I painted this canvas shopping bag with markers and watercolor. I took the picture of Basilique du Sacré-Cœur from a tour guide book of Paris. It was so beautiful thus I painted it with color combination of lavender and hot pink. It was the color of dream and the color of the romantic Paris in my heart. When this cathedral came in my sight, I was almost burst my tears. It was gorgeous to see something in book with my own eyes.


Free day in Paris, my best friend took me to Cimetière du Père-Lachaise, where many great artists were buried. Oscar Wilde was one of my favorite writer. I was so surprised when I saw his grave! So many lip prints from all his fans all over the world. No matters guys or girls, we all love Oscar and his work!



Honoré de Balzac and Frédéric François Chopin's graves were so simple. Great writer and musician. Long live! 



Other than something I have never seen before, there were always something unexpected no matter how familiar I was with them. Monet painted tons of Water Lilies. Some in The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, some in Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, while some others in Musee d'Osay in Paris. However, the water lilies in Musee de l' Orangerie surprised me. There were eight of them in two exhibition rooms. They were huge and beautiful! I was in a rush to go back to hotel but I really wish I could just sit down in front of them and staring at them for all day long. They were real sized painting of water lilies at both day and night time. My favorite was the water lilies at sunset. The glory of sun spread onto the whole pond and painted them with its green, blue, yellow, and purple crayon.  




Favorite Museum. Last afternoon in Paris, Hannah and I went to Musee d'Osay. So many people recommended me to this museum. They said it is even better than the Lourve if you are very interested in the Impressionism paintings. The Manet's exhibition was very impressive! I have never seen such an exhibition of an impressionism artist having such a decent chunk of his artworks. This exhibition has 10 rooms, displaying his artworks according to his different styles in his whole life. I knew Manet's painting but not very into them. However, when I saw all his masterpieces being displayed in one exhibition, I was totally overwhelmed. The theme of his painting ranging from female Flamenco dancer to first world war. He painted beautiful women, gorgeous french countryside, as well as a bunch of flower on his desk.

Other than Manet's exhibition, I was amazed by its collections of many other impressionism artists, such as Van Gogh, Monet, Degas, and Renoir. This museum was like a live art history book. You can find almost everything you saw from a modern art book. Amazing!

This was my version of Van Gogh's Crown Imperials in a Copper-vase. I saw his original work in this museum! So excited!!


Unexpected tour in Le Marais. I like exploring a new city and being guided around the city. Among all the tours we had in this trip, Paris walk in Le Marais was my favorite, as well as many other students'. This British tour guide was the most passionate tour guide I have ever met. He brought us back to Paris in 14th and 15th century. His enthusiasm and professionalism impressed me, which was the key point of the whole tour. Without him, I would never known the history of those buildings as well as the story behind them. 


On my way to the designer's shop Colette, I ran into a just married couple. Don't know why, sometimes married couple can lighten up my day. 



Paris, something unexpected and something surprising makes it so charming and sexy. 
Je t'aime, Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment