Jul 9, 2011

Inspiration for textile and prints

I am always trying to find inspirations for my designs. Except for those I got for the construction of garments, I also got some for the my own textile and prints.

Visiting the Fortuny company was a great experience not only because we took the ferry to La Giudecca and we met its owner but also because of its awesome fabric collection. Like most of the design studios or showrooms we went to in both Paris and Italy, Fortuny's showroom was tiny but possesses all its treasures. The lady kindly showed us most of its great textile designs, fabrics, and explained to us where they got inspiration and how to used those fabrics. This was much more helpful to me because I can 'borrow' its way of getting ideas and use it in my design.





Most of the Fortuny textile designs were inspired by different cultures, such as the classic pattern of European culture in 17th and 18th century, as well as geometric motifs from some African tribes. Since my fourth semester exhibition theme is about culture, I think I have to do more research and try to print my own textiles at school. Nervous but also excited!



These were textile designs by Carla Crosta displayed in the Triennale di Milano Design Museum in Milan. 




Columba Leddi's designs were very inspiring as well. She used very simple silhouette combining with cool and unique prints. Thank for Prof. Markus asking them about how they designed their prints, we knew the secret that they photocopied some flowers and plants and then enlarged the image and printed them onto certain fabrics. A cool way of designing prints! I can't wait to try it!



Actually most of inspirations for textile came from different walls in different cities. I was obsessed with the wall of an unknown building in Florence.

The lime green, beige, gold, and light burgundy combination was kind of interesting if I am going to design a fall/ winter knitwear collection.

Traditional patterns, but I think it would be cooler if I use Photoshop to blur the image and adjust the bright/ dark contrasting. 

One random wall on the street of Le Marais in Paris. The original version of a cool digital prints, right?

I think this was a piece of trash in Rati, which might be used for color testing before dying. It's gonna be a fun prints on a plain dress or a motif of a T-shirt. 



Rain and history washed the bricks of the Duomo of Milano, however they refreshed my idea of making new prints and inventing new color combinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment